Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Brady Mountain Recreation Area

October 27, 2020

Donna and I took our annual fall leaf viewing trip to Brady Mountain Recreation Area on Lake Ouachita. As the date for the trip approached we were conflicted about forecast rain event for Wednesday. We decided to go ahead with our plans for the week and make a run for the lake on Tuesday before the rain. We took a route to Brady Mountain via highway 27 through Mount Ida on the west end of the lake avoiding Hot Springs. The drive was a few minutes longer but much less traffic and and pretty good roads.

We arrived at campsite #55 just before dark and decided to not unpack any outdoor stuff. This proved to be a good decision as a hard rain and wind came overnight and continued through the day on Wednesday. 

Campsites #55 and #56 are the only two sites on a finger of land that extended from the northern most point of the campground into Lake Ouachita. It was a great campsite except for the intermittent drone of the nearby campground sewage treatment facility (at least it was a closed process that didn't smell). Our next-door neighbor was a young man apparently staying with only his dog and leaving each afternoon until the middle of the night. We guess that he was maybe working and just living out of his trailer so for the most part we were that only campers in the area.  We could see across to another finger of land with the tent camping sites which were never occupied during our stay.

Wednesday we hung around camp watching it rain and listened to the wind blow.

On Thursday the wind continued to blow, but skies were clearing so we took an afternoon drive on the backroads to Blakely Dam and Hot Springs. 
Blakely Dam
Friday morning was a beautiful day and my birthday.  After breakfast I stepped out of the trailer and walked down to the water. I heard a ruckus in the tree above me at the point. When I looked up I saw a mature bald eagle takeoff from a tree and fly across the cove toward the marina. I guess I interrupted his fishing. Later I got my old man hiking stick and went for a walk around the park by way of the nature trail. I took some good photos along the way.
After a road trip on the backroads to Crystal Springs campground (opposite direction from the previous day) I got in some fishing time and Hammock time. Ended the day with a beautiful sunset, dinner on the grill and a campfire. Albeit quiet, it was not a bad way to spend my 62nd birthday. Life is Good!
Sunset and Full Moon Rise on Lake Ouachita
Sunset and Full Moon Rise on Lake Ouachita



No comments:

Post a Comment